The Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies was established 2010 by SAP co-founder Klaus Tschira (1940-2015) and the Klaus Tschira foundation as a private, non-profit research institute. It conducts basic research in the natural sciences, mathematics and computer science with a focus on the processing, structuring, and analyzing of large amounts of complex data and the development of computational methods and software. The research fields range from molecular biology to astrophysics.
The SDBV group at HITS led by PD Dr. Wolfgang Müller at HITS is looking for a
Medical Data Specialist, Medical Informatics Scientist or Bioinformatician (m/f/d)
The SDBV group is a core partner in the German National Research Data Infrastructure for Personal Health Data (NFDI4Health) that aims at making data from clinical trials, epidemiological and public health studies, including studies on COVID-19, ‘FAIR’ (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable).
In collaboration with project partners across Germany you will conceptualize, refine, map, and establish (meta-)data models for research data from studies in the health domain and define requirements for the services and tools developed in NFDI4Health. You also will be involved in the new and emerging European ‘Ecosystem for digital twins in healthcare’ (EDITH) that paves the road for a distributed data infrastructure for human digital twins, supporting personalized medicine, systems medicine as well as health data interoperability and computer modelling.
Your responsibilities will also include:
- Analyzing the users’ needs and translate them into software requirements
- Working closely with software developers who will implement tools and services
- Drive and contribute to the standardization of health studies, their documentation, and their data, as well as the corresponding formats, terminologies and metadata
- Contributing to user trainings, project meetings and scientific conferences
What qualifies you for this job
- University degree in medical informatics, bioinformatics (or another life science field), or in medical documentation, data science, computer science or equivalent
- Experience with data modelling and mapping data structures in in the biomedical domain as well as with structuring and/or analyzing corresponding data and metadata
- Knowledge about medical (meta-)data standards and formats (HL7 FHIR, CDISC ODM, etc.) and terminologies/ontologies (e.g., SNOMED CT, ICD-10, LOINC, etc.)
- Familiarity with standards for computational modelling in the life sciences
- Previous experience with medical databases and/or computer modelling
- Very good communication skills in English and German
The environment of this job
This position is fixed-termed. You will work in a dynamic team composed of data scientists with a background in biology and biochemistry, as well as software developers and computer scientists, in close collaboration with project partners in Germany and Europe. The SDBV group of HITS is attractively located in the “Mathematikon” next to the Heidelberg University and University Hospital.
- A fixed-termed position with possibility of extension depending on circumstances at the time of renewal
- An international and thriving work environment.
- Extensive social benefits, such as:
- Subsidized cafeteria meals
- Job ticket
- Subsidies for further training and career development
- Company pension plan and additional health care benefits
- 30 days of paid vacation
- Family-friendly working environment
Learn more about Working at HITS.
For any additional information regarding the position please contact
The position is available immediately.
To apply, please submit the following documents
- Cover letter indicating earliest starting date
- Curriculum vitae
- Relevant Certificates/Diplomas
HITS gGmbH stands for equal opportunities and we strongly believe that our research benefits from inclusive and diverse teams. We are looking forward to receiving your application.